Community and Consumer Recycling
The following is a list of items that we either cannot accept or which require special handling. This list should not be considered as all-inclusive. If you have any item that may be in question, please
- Ammunition or ordinance scrap
- Any closed containers that are under pressure (e.g. propane or gas cylinders, fire extinguishers, CO2 bottles, oxygen bottles, aerosol cans). These containers can ONLY be accepted if stems are removed and/or open (punctured, drilled, cut) so that containers are no longer pressurized and verifiably empty.
- Any containers that contain or have contained:
oil, diesel fuel, paint, toxic or hazardous waste, or any other questionable or uncertifiable material. To be acceptable, smaller containers or barrels from 1 gallon to 55 gallons must have the tops or lids removed and the insides wiped clean or steam cleaned if necessary. These containers must be absolutely free of fluids, fumes, sludge or any other residue.
Larger containers or tanks must have a human-sized opening (measuring at least 18" x 18") cut in them for inspection purposes and the insides prepared the same as smaller containers. A charge of $40 per 1000-gallon capacity is applicable for larger whole tanks. Underground tanks must have tar-like substances removed from the exterior.
- Improperly prepared automobiles, motor vehicles or heavy equipment. Prepared vehicles have had tires and all fluids removed. Refrigerant gas must be removed from air conditioning units in accordance with all applicable Federal, Provincial and local laws and regulations. Vehicles must be free of household and general garbage. Fuel tanks must be removed from the vehicle – these tanks are acceptable if clean and split in half.
- Ballasts from electrical light fixtures must be removed from fixtures. We do not accept ballasts.
- Computer monitors, keyboards, printers and televisions are not accepted. (Computer towers and CPUs are acceptable.)
- Dry-cleaning equipment will only be accepted if all tanks have been dismantled and cut open. All lines must be cut to ensure that no dry-cleaning fluids are contained in this scrap.
- Liquids such as water, oil, paint, fuel, chemicals, etc. are not accepted.
- Oil filters are not accepted.
- Paint cans are only acceptable with lids off, brushed, scraped or wiped clean on the inside (no paint residue) and with the paper label removed.
- Refrigerators and freezers are accepted at a charge of $15 per unit. We do not accept certain styles of cooling units nor any units containing sulfur dioxide.
- Other chargeable items include: wood, wire rope (over 6 ft. long), banding (1 in. or wider and over 6 ft. long), large tanks, plastic and other non-metal items.
Steel Pacific reserves the right to reject any material that does not meet acceptable or quality requirements. We may either return material that does not meet these requirements, or deduct the weight from the load and/or apply a handling charge for that material.